Sunday, March 1, 2015

Cabled Bolster Finale!

It is still missing a cord to pull close the ends. I just got my hands on my long lost knitting dolly. It had a piece of my first work on it. Apparently, back in 2011 I was able to make a neat-looking cord. I guess human procedural memory isn't half as good as it's said to be.
Nevertheless I present to you:

My (almost) finished Cabled Bolster!

Pattern:

MATERIALS: 
approx 150g of Aran weight yarn (240m), in this case Schachenmayr Nomotta Cotton Light
two sets of 5mm circular knitting needles (that is if you want to work on both ends simultaneously.)
cable needle
one bolster cushion - I bought mine in Ikea, but removed the labels and can't remember the name :(

Part I - Centerpiece
This part is knitted flat, back and forth on circular needles. 

NOTE: First and last stitch are edge stitches. I use the technique my Grandma taught me. First stitch is always slipped to the right-hand needle and last is always knitted. Both on right and wrong side.
This creates a neat edge with series of bumps and bars. Like this:


Whatever technique you use,keep in mind that you will be picking up stitches from this edge later on. Just don't make it harder than it is :)

CO34  using provisional cast on (32 sts + 2 edge sts - those will NOT be mentioned in directions)

Row1: *p2, k4* 5 times, p2
Row 2, and every even row: *k2, p4* 5 times, k2
Row 3: *p2, cross2L, p2, k4* 2 times, p2, cross2L, p2
Row 4: repeat Row 2.

Continue until desired length. End with Row 2.
Graft using kitchener stitch or three needle bind off.

Part II - Tubes
this part is worked in round. I am a die-hard fan of magic loop technique, but if you're more comfortable with DPN's do not hesitate to use them.

Pick up the stitches from each edge. You should pick up stitches from beneath bars and bumps mentioned earlier. Number of stitches should be dividable by 4.
I got 100 sts by picking up as follows:
*bar, bump, bar, skip one bump,* four times and than bar, bump, bar, BUMP, and again  *bar, bump,.. and so on.

If your number of stitches is not dividable by 4 - don't worry! Just knit one round and add/take away some until you get it right.

Row 1-8: k2, p2 around
Row 9: k2tog, p2 around
Row 10-17: k1, p2 around
Row 18: k1, p2tog around
Row 19-26: k1, p1 around
Row 27: yo, k2tog, p1, k1 until last 2 sts, p1, k1.
Row 28: k all sts and yo
Row 29: p all sts
Bind off. I recommend using some kind of stretchy bind off. I used Jenny's surprisingly stretchy bind off - here's an article on it on knitty.com

HINT: Every bolster is a bit different, and I hate counting rows and making notes. That's why I used second set of needles and knitted a few rows of each side at a time.

Part III - The Cord
Make a nice cord with any technique you choose. If you don't like making cords you can always buy a fancy one in a store :)
Pull it through the holes made in Row 27.

Enjoy your new cabled bolster! Yaaay!

© Copyright for pattern remains with the designer. Intended for personal use only. Not for commercial use.
Selling items made from this pattern is not permitted.
© Copyright M. Machowska - Escherichia, March 2015

Pdf version on Ravlery HERE

Whew! I'm glad it's done. This yarn is quite pleasant to work with, but it splits from time to time. It drives me crazy when I find a loose thread sticking out from my work 5 rows below...

I finally went home for the weekend, and left grey, gloomy Katowice for few days. And while at home I found... Spring! Look for yourselves!

Crocuses (or is it "croci"?)

Snowdrops (or "Śnieżyczka przebiśnieg" in Polish :)

Of course I had to return for my next week of classes, but I went back with my inner batteries charged. And let's not forget about home-baked bread from my Mom and eggs from genuine country-side hens. Home, sweet home!

Have a nice evening!

Gosia.

No comments:

Post a Comment