Saturday, January 24, 2015

Winter returns - Buka arrives!

It started snowing again today in Katowice. I was just about to start my lovely day with Ob/Gyn book when someting cold and creepy came to my mind...


I don't know if Moomin series was this popular in other countries, but in mid 90's it was an absolute classic in Poland! It aired on Polish National TV (TVP1) at 7pm as a bedtime cartoon. It was the Japanese anime version from 1990-91, you can find wiki article on it here.
There was also a Polish version by Se-Ma-For Studio from 1977-82, with "fuzzy felt" stop motion amimation, but being a 90's kid I didn't have a chance to see in on tv. Wiki article on this one: here.

Being 3 or 4 by the time I was a huge fan of Moomins. I remember waiting for each episode on Friday evenings.
However, there was one thing about the show that would make me tear up and start screaming histerically: Buka/Hufsa/Groke/Mörkö/Mårran - my greatest childhood nemesis.
When I read books several years later it occured to me that Groke was indeed a tragic character. Feared, misunterstood and therefore lonley she travelled around Moominvalley rejected by society.
Back when I was 4 it seemed much simpler though:

She. Was. Pure. Evil.

Still can't look at this and remain 100% calm. 

In November 2012 I managed to overcome my fears and designed a small amigurumi Groke.
It's currently my third most popular design, with astounding 8 projects!

When I looked at them on Ravelry I found that two were made by LouiseAnita. I learned from project description (ravelers can see it here, it's in Polish) that the small one is actually a Travel Bug in Geocaching game! It makes me so proud! I located it in on Geocaching site and I keep track of it's journey. It traveled over 1900 miles around Norway and now it got stuck for a while in Sweden.

Feels like you need a Groke of your own? There you go:

The Groke alias Buka alias Mörkö aka Marran

Gauge: is not importaint.
Size: using 3mm hook resulted in Groke that's about 2,75 inches in diameter
Abbreviations (in US crochet terms):
sc - single crochet
hdc - half-double crochet
picot - slip stitch, 3ch, sl st in the same st
ch – chain
dec – decrease by one sc (sc2tog)
Numbers in brackets () indicate the number of stitches you should have after finishing
each round.
DO NOT JOIN ROUNDS!



Head&Body:
Rnd1: sc 6 into a Magic Loop, (6)
Rnd2: 2sc in each sc, (12)
Rnd3: *2sc in next sc, sc* repeat 6 times (18)
Rnd4-6: sc even (18)
Rnd7: * 2sc in next sc, sc2* repeat 6 times (24)
Rnd8: sc in next 6sc, *2sc in next sc, sc 2* 6 times (30)
Rnd9: sc in next 6sc, *sc 3, 2sc in next sc* 6 times (36)
Rnd10: sc in next 6sc, *2sc in next sc, sc 4* 6 times (42)
Rnd11-12: sc even (42)
Rnd13: sc 8, skip next 6sc (sc in 7th sc), sc evenly until you have only 8 sc left, skip 6, sc 2. (30)
Rnd14: *2sc in next sc, sc4* 6 times (36)
Rnd15-16: sc even (36)
Rnd17: *2sc in next sc, sc 5* 6 times (42)
Rnd18: sc evenly (42)
Rnd19: FRONT LOOPS ONLY: *sc, 3hdc in one sc, sc* 14 times (70? I'm not really sure...)
Rnd20: in BACK LOOPS of 18th round: sc even (42)
Rnd21: *dec, sc 5* around (36)
Rnd22: *dec, sc 4* around (30)
Rnd23: *dec,sc 3* around (24)
Rnd24: *dec, sc2* around (18)
Rnd25: *dec, sc* around (12)
Stuff you toy!
Rnd26-27: *dec* around (6) (3)
Fasten off, sew remaining hole.

Arms:
Attach yarn to the hole that was made by skipping 6 sc in Rnd13, stuff as you go:)
Rnd1-3: sc even (6)
Change to dark purple
Rnd4: sc even
Rnd5: picot 3 times, sl st in last 3 sc.
Fasten off
I had to keep the arms in position by sewing them to Groke's belly after I finished work, just some
slight cheating :)

Nose:
With darker yarn:
Rnd1: sc 4 into a Magic Loop, (4)
Rnd2: *2sc in next sc, sc* repeat twice, (6)
Rnd3: *2sc in next sc, sc 2* twice (8)
Rnd4: *2sc in next sc, sc 3* twice (10)
Rnd5: *2sc in next sc, sc 4* twice (12)
Rnd6: sc 6, * 2sc in next sc, sc* 3 times (15)
Rnd7: sc 6, sc 9 back loops only (15)
Rnd8: *dec, sc* 3 times, 2 dec, sc, 2 dec (10)
Stuff lightly
Rnd9: dec around (5)

Fasten off, sew the remaining hole, leaving long time for sewing.Attach nose to the Groke, embroider eyes and teeth.
Adjust arms position if required.
Congratulations! You are now ready to scare you kids for life!
Enjoy!

© Copyright for The Groke and Moomins belongs to Tove Jansson . I do not claim any rights to the character.
© Copyright for pattern remains with the designer. Intended for personal use only.
Not for commercial use.
Selling items made from this pattern is not permitted.
© Copyright M. Machowska- Escherichia, October 2012


Pdf is available on Ravelry, check out other projects! They're so cool!
It's never too late to face your childhood fears :)

Have a nice afternoon!

Gosia.

No comments:

Post a Comment